Homeowners asking themselves, “Is there mold in my house?” need to take the question seriously. The inhalation of house mold contributes to major health issues like asthma and bronchitis that can harm your family or your tenants.
More than 26 million people in the United States have asthma and most people know someone that suffers from it. Mold triggers asthma symptoms as well as other respiratory illnesses.
If you don’t know the signs of mold, you may be exposing your loved ones to this dangerous, but preventable toxin. Read on to learn how to tell if you have mold in your home and how to get rid of it safely.
How to Tell if You Have Mold: 5 Obvious Signs
Look out for the following five signs indicating that your house may have mold.
1. A Musty, Moldy Smell
Mold gives off a certain, unmistakable odor. Do not ignore that damp, musky smell.
2. Increased Allergies Indoors
If you, your loved ones, or your tenants do not normally suffer from allergies inside, but suddenly start to, you need to check for mold. Common signs of mold allergies include a runny nose, congestion, sneezing, and sore eyes.
3. Water Problems and Leaks
Condensation, long-term moisture, and leaks all contribute to mold growth. Regularly check for a leaky roof and keep an eye out for any places in your home that never seem to dry. Sometimes the leaks occur behind walls so, again, pay attention for dampness or that mold smell.
4. Previous Flooding
If your house ever flooded in the past, you most likely have mold growing somewhere. Check under floors, behind walls, and in any basement or underground portions of your home.
5. Visibly Seeing House Mold
Probably the most obvious sign, many people still manage to miss small growths or mistake mold for dirt. If you see signs of black mold in your home, you need to schedule a professional mold inspection as soon as possible. Don’t wait for your loved ones or tenants to get sick before you take action.
Is There Mold in My House? Get Rid of it Fast!
Several household products work to clean your home of mold quickly. You likely have borax or hydrogen peroxide lying around the house already. Here are two easy ways to get rid of house mold fast!
- Mix together 1 cup of borax for every gallon of water.
- Vacuum the moldy area to loosen the mold and remove some spores.
- Scrub the borax mix into the moldy surface.
- Use a clean towel to wipe up excess dust, mold, and moisture.
- Let the surface dry completely. You do not need to rinse off the borax.
Hydrogen Peroxide Method
- Put 3% hydrogen peroxide solution into a spray bottle. (Add vinegar for more effectiveness.)
- Spray and saturate the mold-covered area completely.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Scrub the area clean with hot water.
- Wipe down the area with a clean towel to remove any leftover spores or residue.
Keep Your Home Clean and Updated
Now you should not need to ask yourself, “Is there mold in my house?” because you know how to spot it and how to get rid of it!
Ready to move on to the thousands of other questions that come with owning a home? Or maybe you need some inspiration on how to update your home’s interior design.
Check out modern home-style blog filled with design tips and advice on making your house a perfect home.